List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.2alpha1 planned for this week!
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-19 11:39:57

Nachricht von David Faure am Donnerstag, 19. April 2001 11:38:

> On Tuesday 10 April 2001 07:17, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:09:16 -0700, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >I would like to get some feedback from the translation teams whether
> > >i18n-packages should be included with this alpha release.
> >
> > I would suggest we wait for beta releases which are aimed at a wider
> > public. In all experience, feedback for translators in these early
> > stages is minimal and mostly referring to the big chunks of
> > untranslated text in most language versions. OTOH, going into bigger
> > translating efforts while lots of strings are changing is very
> > frustrating and a waste of energy for the teams.
>
> I suppose the same reasoning applies to KOffice-1.1-beta1 ?

Sure. But since this beta is apparently meant for "ordinary users"  I would
prefer releasing the translations with it. As for completeness, the
statistics at http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/i18n-table-HEAD.html show about
everything between 0% and 100%. On the whole, the translations look more
complete than I would have expected.

> Still haven't decided between a single koffice-i18n.tar.bz2 and
> koffice-<lang>.tar.bz2 ... but I guess the answer here is going to
> vote for the latter :)

You are ever so right. ;-) (Any objections from other teams?)

If you would go this route this time already we'd have a problem, however, as
to where to draw the line which teams are in and which are not. At any rate,
I'm attaching a list of 24 candidates who have their KOffice translations
above 50%. Hope I did not overlook anybody.

Regards,

Thomas

--- Candidates for the KOffice beta release ---

cs
da
de
eo