List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Re: What happens after 2.1 ?
From:       thori () mindspring ! com
Date:       2001-02-21 17:13:51

Sounds good because this is also a good time to achieve an ultra stable KDE 2.x, a release that can be banked on for a while (like 1.1.2 is).  It basically boils down to recognizing that KDE is the premier desktop for Linux, a serious contender to Windows, and it now needs to arrive at a VERY polished release from all aspects - features, bugs, translations, and docs.  What you suggest seems to me would help accomplish that.  If we skip 2.1.1 and go straight to 2.2 we might end up in this "almost" stage time and time again.

Just my 5 kronas...

Thorarinn

Icelandic Team

kde-i18n-doc@master.kde.org wrote:
> Nachricht von David Faure am Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2001 15:35:

> Ok, so 2.1 is almost done, now is the time to wonder about what we do after
> 2.1 :-)

From a translator's perspective, the procedure after 2.0 was very convenient
and somehow I was under the impression we would standardize on this in the
future. This would mean: Create an extra branch for _critical_ bug fixes
only. Development continues as usual in HEAD, message freeze continues in the
branch (ie: exceptions only on request and when absolutely necessary to fix
critical bugs or i18n problems). No such freeze in HEAD, of course.

If it turns out that there are really no critical bugs to fix in the branch,
we can always just release the translations and documentations.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/