List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: i18n wishlist
From:       Danko Ilik <danko () freemail ! org ! mk>
Date:       2001-02-03 12:12:40

На Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 06:56:54PM +0100, Szanto Tamas напиша:
> In my experience, most users can easily figure out how to
> change the language setting, but they get confused later,
> after restarting KDE, when suddenly "ugly" characters pop up
> in various places (I think most non-ISO-8859-1 language
> teams are aware of this problem).

In non-latin languages it's worse.  Everything is a
question-mark.  :)

I'm wondering if it's possible for KDE apps to chose fonts
primarily based on available encodings.  What is the
situation now?  Is Helvetica hardcoded into apps as the
default font to use?  Helvetica that comes with Xfree86 does
not have cyrillic.

First time one starts KDE, with LANG and LC_ALL set to
national, one gets translated apps.  Great.  Only that every
text in the apps is question-marks.  :) So, in order for one
to get his desktop usable, for example, he has to guess the
right question-mark-button, and then, based on previous kde2
experience and the intuitive control center icon, to run the
control center, find the TT icon in the configuration tree
and click on question-mark-buttons to change the fonts.
Then he has to stroll through the 30 available fonts to find
one that has iso-8859-5 (cyrillic) encoding and do that for
all font-settings.  Then find the
logout-all-in-question-marks-button to find out that kdm had
not become any more readable.  Oh, yes, he should've gone to
control cener / system / login manager (these are written in
question-marks-font :) Then he should've guessed that he's
asked for root password, find the tab where he can change
the fonts and logout again.

So, is there any way to avoid getting
default-Helvetica-question-marks-font when starting KDE for
the first time?

--
PGP key C6035771 fingerprint:
9CDB A748 41C1 B0CE EC70  1B6C 65B8 A8A5 C603 5771