List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    RE: character (font?) problems
From:       Tinkl_Lukás <Lukas.Tinkl () merlin ! cz>
Date:       2001-01-30 14:49:07

> Marko Rosic wrote:
> >
> > Today Gorkem Cetin wrote:
> >
> > | Somebody addressed this for latin2, but let me repeat
> that same problem
> > | occurs within latin5 (aka iso-8859-): Turkish specific
> characters do not
> > | show up correctly (they're signed with a question mark)
> in KDE 2.1 beta2.
> >
> > To cut the long story... two variables speared me from that trouble,
> > exeption is desktop where characters on Trash (Smece) are
> not displayed
> > corectly.
> >
> > LANG=sr_YU.iso8859-2
> > LC_CTYPE=sr_YU
> >
> > You could try to set these to fit your lang.
>
> Hi!
>
> I just checked and it works. With CVS (and 2.1beta2) don't
> set LANG or LC_TYPE
> to anything unless you want your konsole applications to be
> translated too. KDE
> uses the settings from the control centre only. If I set my
> country and language
> to serbia ? appear _unless_ I change my charset to iso8859-2.

Well and that's the problem Stephan: if you don't set these envvars KDE
will probably work OK, but other apps will OTOH stop working correctly!
However it may sound silly, you won't be for example able to _type_ any
accented character in non-KDE applications (GNOME for one).
The real problem in this approach is that you *must* set these envvars
prior to starting XFree86 -- sad but true -- otherwise you won't be able to
type anything...

I see here a big controversion between how KDE and "others" handle
i18n input...
From what I understand so far - setting these envvars *and* setting
i18n options in the KDE Control Center are mutually exclusive.
Hmmm, it works for me this way...
(i.e. I _do_ have LC_ALL set and I _do_ have the correct settings in the
Control
Center).
Has something substantial changed recently?
(e.g. in the last 3 weeks, I'm using about that old CVS at home)

Regards,