List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Few things...
From:       Marko Rosic <roske () mainstream ! co ! yu>
Date:       2001-01-29 15:23:27

I have few observations/sugestions on my mind for some time :)

Latin2 characters are not displayed corectly on desktop. Sign ? is
displayed instead. Latin2 works fine everywhere else.

My second objection is not linked directly to this list, but it is
bound to localisation. Setting up localisation stuff is more than
complicated these days then ever before. If you are a newbie to linux or
even advanced user who's life is not dedicated to localisation but wants
to type or see some text in his own language, and uses Xfree-4.x, Qt-2.x,
KDE-2.x and some "older" distro like Slack 7 or RH 6.2, you find out that
your XKB won't work (or your lang is not supported yet), characters are
not displayed corectly untill you add some variables, and you're bound to
Xmodmap wich you will problably have to hack a bit in order to work fine.
Newbies don't know what is variable or Xmodmap, advanced don't know what
variable to put, and they don't know why XKB doesn't work until they find
out that there is two kind of keysims (one that "old systems" use, and
one for "new ones")
If that's ease of use... I'm afraid to wonder what would be the other
case. This is the problem that I got throug these days after months of
wondering how to set everything up :)
Please do something about it... I know that things will be better with new
distros regarding XKB... but Qt/KDE will not.

And one usefull sugestion... I like Kbabel and I think it is one of the
best and most usefull programs for KDE2. One feature for it, Kwrite and
other similar problems would be great, and it is called Extended
Find/Replace in Allaire HomeSite. It searches a word in all files in some
directory and replaces them with something you want. That is a great time
saver...

--
That my ship was below them