List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: GUI proofreading
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-01-20 8:47:04

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:03:15 -0600, Mike McBride wrote:

>This is a great idea.  One that I would certainly be willing to lend a hand
>in.  The major problem is that we tried this once before during the KDE 1.9x
>period, and nothing ever happend because there was no real sense of how to do
>this. Do we proofread and send in bug reports?  Do we make the changes
>ourselves?  Do we make changes after the message freeze? There were lots of
>questions, and not many answers.

I don't think writing bug reports would be enough. We'd rather need an
effective mechanism to handle this kind of bug reports and
inconsistencies. If you came eg to the conclusion that we should
standardize on a certain spelling (say "email", not "e-mail") or a
certain term (say "folder" instead of "directory") it wouldn't probably
change anything if you or a few individuals would just start sending
bug reports to some developers. As I know from experience: Some would
react, some wouldn't, and soon we'd give up again.

We'd need an official team for this job with transparent decision
processes (mailing list, web page) and people in charge who would also
be willing to talk to the program authors, keep contact to the
developer lists and, if need be, make the necessary changes themselves.
So the team should also have some coders who could do that.

I know it's a big task and I feel uneasy because I can't offer much
help with it (I still think this would be mainly a job for native
English speakers, I'm not a coder and simply can't find any more time
for KDE work). But, in the long run, somebody's got to do it.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/