List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Ugly string format in kword.pot
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-12-31 9:39:24

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:52:09 +0800, Wang Jian wrote:

>#: paragdia.cc:717
>msgid ""
>"<h1>Create custom counters</h1>\n"
>"<p>You can enter a string describing your custom counter, consisting of \n"
>" the following symbols. For now, this string may not contain any whitespace "
>"\n"
>" or additional text. This will change.</p>\n"
>"- lower or uppercase roman numbers</li>\n"
>"<p>This will hopefully have more options in the future (like enumerated "
>"lists or greek letters).</p>"
>

>Please fix it!!!

I have to leave the question to others whether stuff like this can be
avoided or not. So I'm just forwarding to kde-devel. (I had some
discussions about the pain and the errors resulting from such strings
to translators before -- all useless.) Maybe you should contact the
author directly.

As a workaround I would remind translators of the KBabel function to
just copy the contents of the original string into the translation
string (ctrl+spacebar). This will at least preserve the formatting and
spare the error prone retyping of all this stuff.

Regards,

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/