List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Updated documentation
From:       Gregor Zumstein <zumstein () ssd ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       2000-12-28 8:52:35

Am Donnerstag, 14. Dezember 2000 20.24 schrieb Michael McBride:
> Translators,
>
> The English documentation is being gone through one application at a time.
> There are several changes occuring at this time, mostly sgml markup.  The
> most signifigant change that you will notice, is that the installation
> instructions are now included as an appendix, not as the second chapter of
> the documentaion.  This is being done to several seperate requests from KDE
> users over the past few months.
Hello Mike!

Perhaps you have this discussed before, but how about this proposal:

The programs in the base KDE packages (base, util, multimedia, network,...)
are all distributed as one thing. I now think that it would be useful to have
one file per package, which gives a short description of the programs
belonging to the package, how to compile and install the package and so on.
This would be a separate files, which gets the information on the programs
out of their respective index.docbook file. So we would have no more
inconsistent, out of date installation instructions and have to translate
this (sorry to say so) bloat again and again.
Attached is a html file which shows a possible (handmade) result of my idea.
Don't know if it's really feasable, or do we have to wait for xml
documentation to do it?

Perhaps we should discuss this in public?

Happy new year!
Gregor
--
Gregor Zumstein
KDE i18n team, German translations

["dummypackageindex.html" (text/html)]

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
  <head>
    <title>Dummy Package Index</title>
  </head>

    <h1>Objectives</h1>
    The dummy package provides you some applications to do a special work you desperatly need.
    <h1>Installation</h1>
    <h2> Source installation</h2>
    Get the sources from a KDE mirror and compile them.
    <h2> rpm installation</h2>
    Get the rpms for your respective distribution from a KDE mirror and type rpm -i dummypackage.rpm.
    <h1>Prerequisites</h1>
    You need QT 2.2.2, and the packages kdesupport and kdelibs from the KDE 2.1 distribution.
The program xyz additionally needs the commandline tools xa, xb and xc.
    <h1>Program index</h1>
    <h2>MyKDEapp1 (With direct link to the app docu)</h2>
    Gives you the possibility to view some files. (description taken from the applications documentation)
    <h2>MyKDEapp1</h2>
    Gives you the possibility to view some other files
    <h2>and so on</h2>

    <hr>
    <address><a href="mailto:gregor@turing.grexsoft">Gregor Zumstein</a></address>
<!-- Created: Thu Dec 28 01:41:39 MST 2000 -->
<!-- hhmts start -->
Last modified: Thu Dec 28 01:52:13 MST 2000
<!-- hhmts end -->