List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Accelerators
From:       Matthias Kiefer <matthias.kiefer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-10-27 12:33:33

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 01:51:52PM +0200, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> Friday 27 October 2000 12:50 wrote Matthias Kiefer:
> > Hi,

> > I don't see the real advantage of the Qt translation system compared
> > to gettext as we use it now. Besides the fact, that the classname of
> > the widget can (is?) used as context information.
>
> is. That's quite useful, I think.
Yes, no doubt sometimes it can be very useful.

> The other advantage is that is tight to QTranslator (which is a bit more
> advanced than gettext, speedwise) and that lupdate is really a nice tool.
Hmm, I have never worked with it. I was speaking from the translators
point of view.
The Linguist is surely useful when using the Qt translation system.

> I don't know whether you got the full text of my mail to Eric, but I was
> suggesting continuing with kbabel for KDE.
Translation is not bound to kbabel ;-)

> Qt Linguist is BSD licensed. Maybe it contains some nice merging algorithmens
> and heuristics you'd like to include in KBabel?
I will have a look at it, but merging is normally done by gettext
(msgmerge). I just wonder: when you are speaking from the Linguist, do
you speak about the editor or the whole Qt translation system?
When you mean the editor, for what are merging algorithms used their?

> Have you read KDE press releases lately? ;)
Yes, same here ;-)
It seems, that these days you have to shout very loud to get
recognized by people ;-)

BTW: The splash screen is _very_ nice
I should have a look for someone making a similar image for KBabel ;-)

kind regards,
   Matthias
--
Matthias Kiefer