List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0.1 opinion
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-10-25 13:28:01

On Wednesday 25 October 2000 13:20, Szántó Tamás wrote:
> Well, according to the schedule, in 4-5 weeks we
> gonna have a 2.0.1 version primarily for bugfixes and
> additional i18n materials, after that the 2.0 branch
> will be closed permanently.
>
> This is not a good idea for several reasons.
>
> Most reviewers speak *very* enthusiastically of KDE 2,
> but also *a lot of* users are complaining about serious
> bugs in Konqueror, KOffice and KMail, just to name a few.
> And most mainstream distributions offering KDE 2 as a
> standard feature will appear only after KDE 2.0.1, so
> a lot of bugs won't even surface until then.

... which is why we need 2.1 with bugfixes for all that, asap.

> On the other hand, our team has roughly 40 docbooks left
> to translate, so we are getting close to a full translation,
> but it definitely won't be ready for 2.0.1. I think many teams
> are in the same situation, and some of them could finish the
> translation, too, in about 3 months, but no sooner. Also we need
> more feedback from our own users to iron out the translation
> bugs and inconsistencies. We need some more time to produce
> a really polished and perfect translation.
>
> The bottom line is: please don't shut the 2.0 branch down
> after 2.0.1, a 2.0.2 would be very helpful for most i18n
> teams (around January 2001), and leave the door open for a
> 2.0.3 in case the 2.1 release gets severely delayed.

Well, of course I was suspecting this opinion would surface, but
this goes against the idea of releasing 2.1 early ! Developers agreed
not to hack on the 2.0.1 branch only because I assured them that
2.1 would be released soon (December if possible, January at
worst).

2.0.1 can be in 6 or 7 weeks instead of 4 if you think that's necessary,
but not more. And we'll have to close the branch, otherwise 2.1
will be released without translations !?!!?

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/