List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Typo error in file name
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-09-04 15:53:01

Lauri Watts wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Laurent LARZILLERE wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > kcmpcmia.docbook contains information about PCMCIA support. I think the file
> > name should be kcmpcmcia.
> >
> > I will correct it for the french (if I'm right).
> >
> > Bye
>
> Just changing the name will break the KControl document all the
> kcm*.docbook files are declared as entities in the KControl
> index.docbook, which would then need changing to match.  Personally I
> think a slightly misnamed filename is far from a catastrophe, but that's
> just my opinion.
>
> But, I think this goes along with Eric's comments yesterday - even if the
> original is incorrect, translate it *precisely*, or not at all in the case
> of filenames.  Changing a filename in one translation may seem innocuous,
> but it can break other things.  It's not difficult to fix, but please, be
> very careful with changing things like filenames arbitrarily.

We have provided a mechanism (anchors) that ensures that translators
*can* rename files to translate them. We ensure that this won't break
anything.

Anyhow, yes, it should be fixed in English, not in French. Can you do it
please Mike? As you said, one must not forget to change the referring
entity as well.

> Better to have someone change the original, and only if it's
> changed/corrected, translate your copy to match.  All the documents must
> be precise translations of the original documents, errors and
> misconceptions included.

I can only approve ;-).

> Which brings to mind another thing - we need some kind of process to
> filter these.  Should people write to the author or the reviewer or the
> documentation co-ordinator, or mention it directly on the list when there
> is a documentation error - and who should fix it in the original english
> source, if necessary?

Each doc has an author and his/her email must be provided in the
<bookinfo>. Please directly send the bug report to the author of the
doc, and please do not correct the mistake in your translation. The
bug's correction will be integrated in the normal documentation update
process and go through the coordinators.

If the mistake appears many times in many docs, then it becomes
something that is worth being mentioned on kde-i18n-doc or kde-docbook
lists. The first one is for generic problems and the second one for
docbook technical problems.

For example, I just mentioned in kde-docbook that the editors should not
quote things with " sign, but use docbook's <quote> and other citation
tags, so that the decision on how to render the citation can be made by
the style sheets (upper or lower curly typographical quotes, etc).

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.