List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Typo error in file name
From:       Lauri Watts <vampyr () atconnex ! net>
Date:       2000-08-31 19:27:32

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Laurent LARZILLERE wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> kcmpcmia.docbook contains information about PCMCIA support. I think the file
> name should be kcmpcmcia.
>
> I will correct it for the french (if I'm right).
>
> Bye

Just changing the name will break the KControl document all the
kcm*.docbook files are declared as entities in the KControl
index.docbook, which would then need changing to match.  Personally I
think a slightly misnamed filename is far from a catastrophe, but that's
just my opinion.

But, I think this goes along with Eric's comments yesterday - even if the
original is incorrect, translate it *precisely*, or not at all in the case
of filenames.  Changing a filename in one translation may seem innocuous,
but it can break other things.  It's not difficult to fix, but please, be
very careful with changing things like filenames arbitrarily.

Better to have someone change the original, and only if it's
changed/corrected, translate your copy to match.  All the documents must
be precise translations of the original documents, errors and
misconceptions included.

Which brings to mind another thing - we need some kind of process to
filter these.  Should people write to the author or the reviewer or the
documentation co-ordinator, or mention it directly on the list when there
is a documentation error - and who should fix it in the original english
source, if necessary?

Mike - I think this one's yours :)

--
Lauri Watts,