List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation packages
From:       Kim Enkovaara <kenkovaa () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2000-08-10 8:06:13

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Roman Maurer wrote:

> People changing original messages should realize that whenever
> they add a single dot, 40+ people have to reopen the PO file and
> update it.

Changing some short string is not a problem, it's easy and fast to fix.
The biggest problem is the "Whats this" type of messages and other long
texts. If someone changes something there it takes time to read it trough
and verify what changed. I don't have direct line so that I could check
what changed easily with CVS (and I prefer ClearCase :))

I have personally set back those "What's this" translations and waited
that they stabilize. I tried to translate them earlier and that was just
wasted work. Now the messages seem to be quite stable and I just started
to do the translations. I know that I can't finish them before 2.0, but
now the work is easier to do and I don't have to do same translation many
times (I have a job and thesis to do also, translation is just a hobby).
Probably when version 2.0.1 is ready the translations start to take
shape also.