List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Macedonia
From:       JK <el97146 () central ! ntua ! gr>
Date:       2000-07-07 0:12:46

I believe that if these people live in the region of Northern Macedonia, thay
have every right to call themselves Macedonians (actually they could even
call themselves "Tsiribambulians" if they liked it, it's OK with me, although
"Macedonians" makes more sense). I saw people in Greece protesting as if
they had some kind of copyright of the names "Macedonia" and
"Alexander the Great" (and I'm sure that a vast percentage of these people
would be extremely surprised if someone told them that Alexander the Great's
capital was not Thessaloniki, neither was he a Greek-Orthodox Christian).
On the other hand, I know that many Macedonians (the Slav ones) believe
that Alexander the Great (and Homer, and Aristotle and all these people) were
"Macedonians" which is something closer to (Slav) Macedonians that Greeks,
and also that there are a few million (Slav)Macedonians spread in the Greek part
of Macedonia,waiting to be liberated.
Both views are equally stupid. Anyway,
As a translator desktop.po in Greek, I will translate whatever original message
I' m given.
As a person, I believe that since we don't say "Republic of Greece" but
"Greece", we should also say"Macedonia".
As a linux user, I think that politics (especially fanatism) should be kept out
of our happy volunteers' world, and Simos' message makes me feel too bad.
So does Danco's (although he avoids politics).
By the way, to all Greek translators, instead of worrying about name disputes,
worry about our statistics, which suck. I  re-translated 500 messages
form desktop.po and sent them to the coordinator last Monday. They still
ain't uploaded, and there is a serious possibility of me loosing my work
once again.