List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Macedonia
From:       Logi Ragnarsson <logir () logi ! org>
Date:       2000-07-06 16:52:19

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 07:42:52PM +0100, Marko Samastur wrote:

> Some think Slovenia is part of Russia. Thinking doesn't make it so.
>
> It's true that there is a region named Macedonia. Should a country
> therefore change a name? UN with a (little) help of Greece thinks so,
> some of us don't.

I have a tendency to think that people should be allowed to decide what
their country is called, strange clauses in their constitusions
notwithstanding.

Should f.ex. Poland be allowed to object to the idea of Germany and have it
called the former Austrian Province of Germany? Not to mention that pretty
much anything in Europe has been a part of several empires in history. In
fact, Austria should be the former German Province of Austria too, just for
the symmetry of it. This just gets too weird.

I would go with "The Republic of Macedonia" just to distinguish it from the
Greek region of the same name, but who really cares which "empire" it was
most recently part of?

(BTW, this entire thing makes me happy to live in a country that noone has
ever been bothered to invade :)

Logi, from the former Danish amt of Iceland.

--
Logi Ragnarsson <logir@logi.org>      PGP/GPG key ID: 1024R/42935585