List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: 045f   =?iso-8859-9?Q?=FF?=   CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER DZHE
From:       Erol Oz <eroloz () bilgi ! edu ! tr>
Date:       2000-05-30 9:35:19

Hi,
I experience a similar problem with some turkish characters
(011E,011F,0130,0131,015E,015F). A question mark is displayed instead of
these characters. But the problem only in the strings from desktop.po
(utf-8 formatted, of course), in KDE 1.90. As to the other translated
strings (from iso-8859-9 formatted *.po's) there is no such problem. As
Stephan said some time ago, it must be due to conversion failure.
Turkish desktop.po had converted iso to utf, and utf to iso several
times via recode utulity. When I opened the utf8 formatted desktop.po by
KBabel, there was question marks instead of the above mentioned
characters. Then I recoded it back to iso8859-9, and opened and saved it
in utf8  by KBabel. Now KBabel displays the characters correctly. But
after compiling the tr package with new desktop.po, the result did not
change. Confusing:-(
I hope these feedback make any sense.
regards
Erol Oz