List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Various (indicating translators in documentation; documentation home
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-05-29 10:22:42

Hi all,

Indicating translators in documentation
---------------------------------------

Sorry to change once again the way a translator should be marked up. We
realized we should not use <jobtitle> but <contrib> instead. "role"
attribute is not needed anymore :

<othercredit>
<firstname>Laurent</firstname>
<surname>Larzillère</surname>
<contrib>translation</contrib>
<affiliation>
</affiliation>
</othercredit>

"contrib" field can be used as well for "proofreading" or other types of
contributions.

Documentation home page
-----------------------

Now we have moved to DocBook (but not fully cleaned up the result yet),
I took the time to update the instructions relative to work on
documentation :

	http://i18n.kde.org/doc/index.html

This includes very generic instructions, instructions on how to mark up,
on how to clean up the result of the automated conversion, and a few
tips. I'm planning to add back the work-in-progress page to do the link
between Mike's team's work (writing KDE 2 doc) and the translation teams
work.

Instructions more translation-oriented are on:

	http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/index.html

Instructions more specific to editorial work are on:

	http://i18n.kde.org/teams/en/index.html

Structural diff utility
-----------------------

I have started last week some cleanup work (mainly cleaning up
<bookinfo> sections). Many other cleanup review will occur in the next
times. Next one: add keywords in relation with the new KDE help search
engine from Matthias H.K. + normalize DOCTYPE declarations + change
<jobtitle>s to <contrib>s. Frederik's team will also continue delivering
updated documentation.

This means that English docs will keep moving a bit quicker than
translation process during a certain time. To help translation teams
resynchronize with the English documents, Frederik Fouvry has been
writing a script named "sgmldiff.pl". This script does a "structural
diff" : it looks for differences in markup in the English and in the
translated file, and shows them. It does not care about the text that is
in between the tags, so the text can be translated. Same for the text in
the attributes, unless othewise specified it is not compared, and
therefore can be translated.

So the translation teams should run it until it detects no more
differences (with the exception of the mentions of the translator). We
have not decided where to put this script yet (on ftp.kde.org or on
i18n.kde.org), I will let everyone informed when this script is
available for downloading.

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for Business!