List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE Beta Release Schedule v2
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-05-10 6:22:37

Dear Thomas,

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> maintainers. No announcements are posted to the translators and
> documenters list at kde-i18n-doc@kde.org (except I forward them) and
> people there get REALLY frustrated now. They are afraid things will
> just stay the same as before when huge amounts of translation work were
> not distributed with KDE, including _all_ the documentation
> translations.
>
> May I remind everyone that we now have more than fourty translation
> teams and dozens of documenters (see http://i18n.kde.org/teams/) and
> that having all those languages is one of THE advantages of KDE
> compared compared to what any commercial company could afford? I would
> strongly suggest to get those people out of their stepchild position
> now.
>
> The very least what we would like to know:
>
> *   Will translations and documentation be released along with 1.90 and
> the following betas?

The documentation should really be distributed along KDE
1.90. Much of the documentation still applies to KDE 1.1,
but for many applications it is better than nothing. We have
many people starting to write the documentation for KDE 2
under the direction of Mike Mc Bride, but they need a bit of
time - first they have to get a working environment, which
is not that easy, then they need to learn a still moving
application, then they need to write it in correct
English/DocBook. What would *really* help would be if the
developpers also gave a hand by writing a piece of their
doc, keypoints or a canvas for it.

Don't panic. We will do it for KDE 2.0. For KDE 1.90, I
suggest we just distribute what exists already.
--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr
                                           \^o~_.