List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translations for KDE 1.90
From:       Logi Ragnarsson <logir () logi ! org>
Date:       2000-05-09 13:28:22

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 02:21:16PM +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> On Die, 09 Mai 2000 Danko Ilik wrote:

> > But that's finished, my question is whether the next round
> > would require completing other kde-groups (koffice,
> > kdemultimedia, ...) as well?
>
> Yes. But I'm not sure about the limits to set here. The next beta is supposed
> to include all KDE packages. See the latest release schedule at
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=95746896206145&w=2
>
> Opinions anyone?

Well, I would like to have the option of leaving f.ex. koffice completely
untranslated. Would a translation be useless if it leaves out a package? Are
you doing anyone a favour by leaving it out? In fact, these programs didn't
*exist* in the previous release, so any argument concluding that they
absolutely *must* be translated would conclude that previous versions
shouldn't have been translated at all. (Sorry, too much mathematics... it
goes to your head. Don't make my mistake!)

In fact I don't like this attitude of wanting to exclude everything in
sight. Of course, we are going to attempt to translate as much as possible
and my team expects to translate all API's before release, but we really
don't need someone to keep threatening exclusion if we don't do "this much"
or "those exact packages". I mean, we're in this together, right? We're
trying to create something here.

What particularly annoys me is when someone says "let's set a limit so all
the teams will work hard to make this limit". This is more like working for
a company than working on free software and I normally get paid for that.

I say, leave out of the betas any translation that hasn't been touched for a
month (and so isn't being worked on) and leave out of the final release any
individual po file that isn't 98% perfect. Excluding translations from the
first beta seems particularly counter-productinve, since I'm sure a *lot* of
translators are waiting for the beta to really get going.

Ciao,
Logi

--
Logi Ragnarsson <logir@logi.org>      PGP/GPG key ID: 1024R/42935585