List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE translations and code freeze (and a beta-opinion)
From:       Logi Ragnarsson <logir () logi ! org>
Date:       2000-05-08 16:37:10

Stephan Kulow wrote:
> "Bjarni R. Einarsson" wrote:
> >

> > Obviously, there are typos in the hard-coded (C-locale) messages,
> > upon which the .po and .pot files are based.  Fixing these messages
> > and improving them is of course one of the things that need to be
> > done during the beta phase, but how?  Fixing typos directly in the
> > C++ source code inevitably causes all the translations to go fuzzy
> > (and if the string is completely rewritten, break completely).
> > So, in case nobody had suggested it already, I'd like to propose a
> > way to avoid this problem:  simply don't fix the messages in the
> > source code.  Fix a .po file.

> No, we will make it differently. If someone finds a bug like this, he
> will fix that and all po files. I see no reason why not to do that.

Eaxtly how many people in the world are able to both fix a Breton and an
Icelandic po file?

I would follow a previous suggestion of soft-freezing the messages in the
source, have someone proofread the pot file, fix the problems found and then
deep-frieze the messages.

After this, if there is a lot of problems, create a C translation containing
only the messages that need to be updated. This would be small, easy to
mantain and not break all translations every couple of days. The
alternative, really, is just the deep-freeze with no recourse if the
english language messages are bad.

> And if you guys haven't found the typo by now, who will ever? Whenever
> I find a problem (typo, misinformation, etc) in the original POT file,
> I change it directly in the code. Everything else would be _very_ bad

Good point. But not all translators actually have CVS accss. F.ex. until
recently the icelandic team was concentrating on gtranslatiin gthe 28.2.2000
snapshot because it would sort-of almost run, so there was some context.
This didn't go in the CVS, of course, since it would be merged with
incompatible pot files.

Only a few days ago did we decide that this wasn't very productive and
merged everythin into the cvs, where it promptly became all fuzzy :)

> > Also - IMHO the beta releases should include *all* languages which
> > exist at all.  After all, the releases are betas, nobody expects
> > them to be perfect.

> Not perfect is not equal to unmaintained. We ship all maintained ones,
> not only the perfect ones! And 80% of kdebase is _far_ from perfect.

I would suggest that for initial betas any language with po files which have
been modified recently should be included. These are active teams in some
sense. Then, towards the end, drop the languages that aren't ever going to
make it to reasonable completeness before release.

Just my two lire,
Logi

--
Logi Ragnarsson <logir@logi.org>      PGP/GPG key ID: 1024R/42935585