List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Reminder: KDE 1.90 release plan
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       2000-04-30 13:28:10

Andrea RIZZI wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Thomas Diehl wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to remind everybody of the deadline for the KDE2 beta
> > (original announcement once more attached). According to the schedule at
> > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.0-release-plan.html
> > translations of kdelibs, desktop.po, and kdebase are supposed to be
> > finished on April 30.
>
> How can we finish if .po files change everyday ?

Exactly, we can't until kdebase is actually frozen. Translations should
be frozen few days after the package.

But I'd also like to bring up few days old proposal from Roman. If I may
quote him:
"While I perfectly understand that source code has to be frozen,
I don't quite see why the translations should be frozen - *ever*.

Some KDE 1.1.2 translations can still be improved, AFAIK, and new
Linux (for example) software distributions could benefit from this
translations.  Is it possible to change the KDE 1.1.2 branch of
translations today at all?"

and later:
"But anyway, my suggestion for the future releases of KDE would be,
that we (OK, by this I really mean "you":-) maintain two versions
of KDE - the stable (or "frozen") one should be released every month
with improved translations of GUI and documentation (and no other
fixes), while the development one should be what the HEAD branch is.
Alternatively, only the I18N add-ons should be published once a
month for a previous stable release of KDE."

Is there any reason why this is not done (I think it's working quite
well for linux kernel)? It's silly when people must put up with bad
translations for a year, because they can't fix the old ones and new
release isn't out yet. With small teams like ours, that hardly every
grows, it's even likely that new release will have worse translations
than previous one. And bad translations certainly don't add to kde's
appeal.

Regards,

	Marko