List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: How to test desktop.mo file?
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-03-23 18:28:45

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Thuraiappah Vaseeharan wrote:

> I am just thinking aloud here. Correct me if I am wrong. TSCII
> just uses the upper ASCII characters for representing Tamil glyphs. (It is
> not a multi-byte encoding or anything). As the .po files need to be in

True.

> UTF-8 format in future, we can convert them using
> recode ISO-8859-1..UTF-8 file.po

No, no. That's why we use are using Unicode -- we use single
charset/encoding (whatever) for all text/translations. If you do that you
can not display text in different languages at the same time.

> Then why do we need to write a separate codec for TSCII? Isn't it the same
> as using the iso-8859-1 codec?

You will needa TSCII codec if you want to be able to read TSCII files in
KDE. You don't have to do that to use Tamil -- only if you want to
read/write files to that format.

> Tamil Nadu govt recently became a member of the unicode consortium.
> (see http://www.unicode.org  ...  members)
> They announced a standard charset for tamil called TAB (very similar to
> TSCII) in 1999 . Details are in http://www.tamilnet99.org.

I'll check that.

> so that each tamil character can be represented by a unique code point.

Just wondering.. why is that a problem?

> I am not very clear about what they intend to do. (I could find
> nothing on the websites)

Do you know when it will be done or if it will be accepted?

> the entire tamil alphabet. This is what TSCII/TAB and Unicode has done.

I know -- I studied that maping tables last night.

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org