List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Tamil menus working
From:       Thuraiappah Vaseeharan <vasee () ee ! umanitoba ! ca>
Date:       2000-03-20 3:25:15

I've got the tamil menus working in KDE programs using the translations
done by Sivakumar.

This is what I did:

1. cd to i18n-kde-ta
2. run  msgfmt to creat the .mo file
msgfmt -o kde.mo kdelibs.po
3. mkdir -p /usr/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES
4. copy the kde.mo file to the above directory
5. edit the file /usr/share/config/kcmlocalerc and add the following
lines:

[ta]
Name=Tamil

6. I also translated the kedit.po file and copied it to the tamil locale
directory /usr/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES

(Question: How do I upload it ?)

7. Now go to Settings->Desktop->Language and select Tamil.

Now start kedit from the K menu and the Tamil menu. ("Koopu", "Thoku"
etc.) will appear

(Remember to change the system font to a TSCII font, this can be done from
K Menu-> System-> Desktop->Fonts)

This procedure doesn't work for desktop (K Menu , etc) as the .po file
needs to be in UTF8 format. We'd have to write a converter to get that
going. (i.e. add TSCII to UTF8 support in recode/KBabel).

Vasee