List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Question about l10n in KDE 1.89
From:       Andre Charbonneau <mm4jx8sz () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2000-03-01 15:50:42

Hello,

I've been looking through the code of KRASH 1.89 to see how the
localization was being implemented.  To my understanding (and please
correct me if I'm wrong), changing a regional setting through the
control panel will only affect KDE applications since the settings are
not saved at the system-level locale files, but in KDE-level
configuration file (which are then used by the KConfig class).  Also, it
looks like the default values for the localization settings are not
dependent on the language/country setting at the system level (using the
LANG environment variable), but are hardcoded into KDE's classes.  To my
opinion, this may cause some confusion to some Linux users as they will
not see the locale changes take effect in non-KDE applications, or in
non-graphical applications.
Would it make sense to make the locale changes affect the localization
files at the system level also, so that all applications (including
non-graphical) will be affected by locale settings changes that are made
through the KDE control panel?  I've been doing some research about l10n
at the system level and how the locale files are formatted and it seems
feasible to implement a utility to modify the system level locale files
accordingly, and then automatically running the 'localedef' utility to
create the appropriate binary files.  This 'locale editing' utility
could be a library that the localization setup apps in KDE would link to
and therefore the user will have an option that will allow him/her to
decide if the changes to the locale settings should be at a KDE level
only or at the system level.

Any feedback on this subject would be appreciated,

Cheers,
--
Andre Charbonneau
Software Engineer