List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: UTF8 and translations
From:       Hans Petter Bieker <bieker () stud ! ntnu ! no>
Date:       2000-02-08 20:01:59

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Roman Maurer wrote:

> E. g., everyone has support for ISO 8859-2 in Emacs and vi, but I,
> for one, don't have UTF-8 support in Emacs nor in vi.

You could try kbabel. It's a po file editor which supports all encodings
supported by KDE/Qt (including utf8).

> Does this mean that KDE 2.0 will work in Unicode anyway and will

I guess this depends on the translation teams. If most translations are
converting to utf8, I guess we could force the rest to to change :-)

> correctly respect "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-2"
> and translate it to UTF-8 on-the-fly?  Or will the decision just
> be postponed?

The Content-Type will not be respected. We will use the charset file to
decide which encoding we are using.

-bieker-

Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Engineering Cybernetics
                 bieker@stud.ntnu.no / bieker@kde.org