List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: UTF8 and translations
From:       Kim Enkovaara <kenkovaa () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       2000-02-08 14:31:46

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Marcell Lengyel wrote:

> Ok, this sounds fine. But then all translators must use unicode
> editors if they want to make corrections to the .po files.
> How do you guys in the Finnish group deal with this? Do the
> team-leaders distribute iso-something files to the translators,
> and convert them to unicode before committing to the CVS?

Well the Finnish teamleader and translator are the same person, me :) I
have had few people to proofread the texts from time to time.

I know that the unicode is big problem for the translators because it's
so unsupported. I have also built my own Linux distribution etc. so
playing with editors and tools is quite familiar for me.

I'll suggest that you try KBabel, it's excellent tool for translating and
supports utf-8.