List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Russian
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-01-20 17:57:17

Frederik Fouvry wrote:

> ,-- On Thu, 20 Jan, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> |
> | Does this mean we have a hope to use "é" and "ŕ" and Russian
> | chars in IDs when we will switch to Unicode ?
>
> When we switch to XML, yes, because that's Unicode-enabled.  The DB
> SGML declaration doesn't allow Unicode (AFAIK), but I would be
> prepared to change that (the HTML declaration has it, so it's just a
> matter of copying ;-).  The issue is certainly important enough to
> warrant such a fundamental change.  It's a real extension to docbook
> howeve, so we have to be careful: documents with Unicode characters
> which will be valid KDE DB, may not be proper DB anymore.  But just
> like with the PNG extension, we are sure that one day it will be
> integrated, at the latest in DB 5.0.

Well, at this time DocBook may have fully switched to XML
too... ;-)

It's not easy to modernize not too early, not too late,
anyway! LinuxDoc => DocBook, ISO => UTF, SGML => XML, ...
Too many changes at the same time, also.

The bad thing is that we made many efforts to remove
eight-bit characters from the IDs and that we will make the
same efforts to have them back again once... :-((

                                           \^o~_.
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
     Tux                    Konqui         \__=v