List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: JadeTeX does not work yet with non-Latin-1
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-20 13:35:30

Eric Bischoff wrote:

> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >
> > Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > >
> > > So far, we have thought about three solutions :
> > > 1 - Write a PERL script to replace high-bit characters with
> > > TeX macros
> > > 2 - Fix the problem in jadetex or babel (?) package, and
> > > submit the patch
> > > 3 - Wait for unicode support in TeX ;-)
> >
> > But it would work with the script, not?
>
> Maybe. I don't know how much Claudiu's script is dependant
> on Romanian character set and how easily it could be adapted
> to other languages (Greek, Russian, ...).
>
> Any idea, Claudiu ?
>
> > The advantage of unicode in
> > our own code is that we can be clever to use the right tex character
> > and even patch the includepackage line if it would be necessary :)
>
> ... But as I said, AFAIK TeX doesn't handle unicode yet.
>
> > I don't think, it's easy to patch it in babel, but it should work
> > to merge 1) into a fix for jadetex - I have unfortuatly no idea what
> > jadetex does exactly (and no time for this anyway)
>
> Yes. I also suppose that to adapt Claudiu's script would
> take less time than to correct jadetex or babel (it's a
> guess - I may be wrong). But the second solution would have
> been cleaner ;-)
>
> BTW, FYI : jadetex is just a set of TeX macros that Jade
> outputs. Like LaTex.

Ah, so we had to hack the jade output to do the utf8 encoding
itself. This should be possible I'd say - you don't need unicode
support in tex for that, but a table to which TeX character which
unicode character to translate. Remember that TeX isn't even latin1
by itself :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.