List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Request for desktop.po to *.desktop script
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-20 11:10:05

Claudiu Costin wrote:

>        Dear team,
>
>   My process to translate *.desktop entries is:
>
>   1) review and rework on "desktop.po" file
>      (1-3 days)
>   2) send it in CVS
>      (1 day, because I send it to my team coordinator)
>   3) wait for updating
>      (for safety I wait 3 days)
>   4) download after all packages
>      (BTW some patches don't work and sometime
>       I need to download over my ppp 3Kb/s very unstable line
>       which need a numer unknown of days)
>   5) compile/hack + install kde snapshots
>      (1 full day)
>   =========
>   Estimated TOTAL time for 1 loop: 2-3 weeks (for me and
>   if I don't have other problems)
>
>   THIS BORED ME. Please help me. What I want:
>   *  scripts for generating *.desktop files
>   for only one language, even I don't have
> Koffice instaled or other >100 KDE applications.
>
>   For me, was a challenge to translate similar
> applications like kpm and ktop.
> Allowing me to have FULL tree of *desktop files in kicker,
> konqueror and desktop/background app will solve
> bad/irellevant translations and gain LOT OF TIME.
>
>   Again, please make some scripts and I thing that
> all translation teams will thank you.

These scripts exists and are without exception in kde-i18n.
try
"make -f Makefile.am all_files" - this will grep all modules
on the same level as kde-i18n for .desktop files.
"make -f Makefile.am desktops" - this will get all
*/messages/desktops.po
and apply it's contents to the files found for all_files

If you look at Makefile.am what "desktops" really does, you'll find
list=`cat ./all_files` ; \
for i in $$list; do \
   ./apply ../$$i `cat $$langfile` && if diff ../$$i ../$$i.new >
/dev/null; \
      then rm ../$$i.new; else mv -f ../$$i.new ../$$i; fi ;\
done

so you could also simply do
msgfmt mydesktop.po
mv messages $KDEDIR/share/locale/<mylang>/LC_MESSAGES/apply.mo
make -f Makefile.am apply # in kde-i18n!
for i in `find $KDEDIR/share/applnk -type f`; do
   ./apply $i <mylang> && mv $i.new $i
done

Try it :)

Greetings, Stephan

--
It said Windows 95 or better, so in theory Linux should run it
                                                GeorgeH on /.