List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: .po/.sgml encoding
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       2000-01-20 11:21:38

Frederik Fouvry wrote:
> AFAIK the tools (jade and DSSSL) can both handle Unicode.  I doubt if
> jadetex can do it.  I don't expect a problem here - test reports would
> be welcome however.
>
> The HTML output contains character entities with the Unicode numbers,
> so a browser that understands these will do (that I've tested already,
> with Greek - I don't read any other non-latin scripts).

.. And other Web browsers that don't understand it will
fail, even with "classical" languages like German, Spanish,
French or Italian.

As I said before, it would be good to have classical ISO
output too, at least for a few years.

Well, after all, we can write (numerical character entities)
to (ISO or KOI) scripts, that's not really a problem.

The major problem to me seems to be the editing of UTF-8
files, not conversion issues.
Even if "recode" doesn't work properly, a conversion script
is not too much work.

>  As just said,
> I think that TeX (out-of-the-box) is still a problem.

Yes, indeed.

                                           \^o~_.
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
     Tux                    Konqui         \__=v