List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: .po/.sgml encoding
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-01-19 12:17:50

Thomas Diehl wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:45:29 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> >So the basic decision now is do we keep
> >the po files in CVS as utf8 and make it the duty of the
> >translator to recode them before checking or do we keep
> >it as they are now and recode them before compiling them
> >to .gmo files. I definitly prefer the utf8 in CVS way.
>
> Just a technical question:
>
> This is no problem for KBabel users (since it now supports saving to
> utf8 and utf16). But how are others supposed to get their stuff into
> the right format? (Same goes for docs in general.)

If they have no other tools, recode handles this. So you check out,
use recode UTF-8..latin1 myfile.po, edit it in the editor of your
choice,
use recode latin1..UTF-8 myfile.po and commit.

We can of course also write a little shell script that does that
automaticly for you, so you don't need to bother.

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.