List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Disappointed
From:       Marko Samastur <markos () elite ! org>
Date:       1999-12-17 13:06:50

Hi all,

I'd really like to know what you all think about krash release.
Personally, I'm very disappointed and the reasons are the following:

1.) It only includes kdebase, kdelibs and kdesupport. Most of what
people consider environment was left out. Even koffice, which was
announced, is not included (and won't be judging from Mosfet's post I
found on lists.kde.org). As Stephan already pointed out, it doesn't
include i18n stuff and that makes it pretty much useless to translators.

2.) I know that KDE team said the focus of this release are developers,
who should get a preview of what is coming and an environment in which
to port applications from KDE 1.x to 2.x. May I ask why? I'd expect that
average developer is quite capable of building one of the snapshots, but
average translator is not. Ok, I admit I'm playing dumb here, because it
was important to stabilize environment, but I would like to know when
will translators get something to work with? Translating without testing
environment CAN'T get us good results. For something as big in size as
KDE (especially with Koffice), we (smaller teams from smaller countries)
need few months to get it ok (not perfect).

3.) It's far to demanding to make it play along with 1.1.2. I've spent
most of last night and this morning ([1]) trying to achieve that, but
was completely unsuccessful. Sure, I can get it to work if I'm willing
to corrupt 1.1.2 and yes, it doesn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes of
furious typing to get 1.1.2 back, but I'd prefer if I didn't have to do
that, since I do use my computer also for serious work and my free time
is not limitless. I know from talking to other slovenian translators
that not ruining current configuration is a must for them to work at all
on translations.
If anybody can help me how to do this, I'd very like to hear from
him/her (I did try to use --prefix option with configure, but no luck).

4.) In general (and this is not typical just for KDE project, but also
others I'm aware of), it would be nice if you waited with announcement
and packages until you created them for at least all of major
distributions (I presume it shouldn't be too difficult to build them for
5 or 6 of them). It would save a lot of people a lot of time and energy,
if they didn't have to build things themselves. It would also help to
keep their systems cleaner (for those who care). Right now, I have
absolutely no idea what got where and even though I know how to find and
remove them, it will take an awful lot of my time.

I guess this is a message from wrong person about wrong things to wrong
mailing list, but I do hope that somebody from developers team, will
listen, find enough good will to not get offended by something I've
might have said and help with what I think are real issues.

Best regards,

	Marko

[1] This is not completely true. I've also d/l snapshots of other parts
of KDE and of Koffice in hope to get a more complete environment. After
few hours of building stuff, I was more or less unsuccessful (didn't get
even one program in Koffice to build ok). All snapshots except
kdegraphics (which was dated on 5.12.) were from 7.12. These were the
newest I found on mirror ftp.tuwien.ac.at (ftp.kde.org was unreachable
or full all these time).