Hi everybody, As most of you know already: thanks to the work of Tobias Burnus, the new server for KDE translators and documenters is now up and running at http://i18n.kde.org/. I think, however, that a short intro may be in order as to what the purpose of this server really is. Since there are still a lot of translators not subscribed to the i18n-doc mailing list I take the liberty to also CC the language team lists. Please take this as an invitation for feedback, brainstorming, any constructive contribution you can think of. What you are going to find on the server is about the following: ================================ The KDE Translation HOWTO (i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/) ================================= We already talked about that. Since then, I was asked for the complete DocBook text and a .tgz archive of the HTML version to make translation and off-line reading easier. The next revision (due out around Christmas) will provide both and a lot of things that people told me they were missing in the first release. So please keep that feedback coming. ================================ The Translation Team List (i18n.kde.org/teams/index.shtml) ================================ Here you will find the data from the old i18n.html page on the KDE web server -- and a lot more. It does not only contain the basic data of translation teams, such as coordinators, mailing lists, team sites and so on but also links to the following resources: * Daily snapshots of all GUI and documentation files that were already translated by the respective language team. * "Compendium files": text files that contain all message strings of the already translated .po files and can be used by specialized translation programs like KBabel and Ktranslator for comparisons and consistency checks. * Individual "highscore lists" for each team, i.e.: language specific overviews which .po files were already translated but are in need of a revision. There's also a list of all .po files and their current status provided at http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/i18n-status-table.html. Links to translations of the KDE web server and, maybe, snapshots of this and other KDE servers are presently under consideration. If you can think of something that could help the web site translators (except a better visibility on the KDE main site;): just let us know. * Finally the doc statistics: an overview of all documentation that needs to be translated and its (presumed) current status; this only exists, of course, if there was documentation translated already (if something is missing here, send a mail to Tobias at burnus@gmx.de) =================================== Web Space For All Translation Teams =================================== If you need some web space for internal data that can be accessed by all active members of your language team (such as to-do lists, translation term lists, Howtos, style guides,-- whatever) you can now get an extra site at i18n.kde.org/teams/your_language_code/. This is based on a separate CVS server so that every interested translator or documenter can get an account. Just send a mail to Tobias or me. Of course, these accounts can also be used to contribute to the common areas of the i18n server. So if your team has any resources (tools, programs, howtos) that could be useful for others, please think of producing an international version and contribute it. In fact, most of the present Translation HOWTO is just an adaption of some internal stuff from the German team. It would be great if you could set this into perspective with the experiences you made while translating KDE to your language. Kind regards, Thomas