List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translated IDs ?
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1999-11-21 20:42:41

Le Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Stephan Kulow a écrit :
> > Filenames are part of what is seen by the user. It's not like a variable in a
> > program that gets compiled. I'm sure I will get killed for choosing that
> > example, but if you have a look at the System Folder of a French Macintosh,
> > you'll see that all the file names are translated, and even "System Folder" is
> > changed into "Dossier Système".
> This is true for KDE too. Folders and filenames that are meant to be
> displayed
> are translated - like Trash, Desktop, etc.
>
> But how are the filenames for the documentation? I'm sure they use files
> in the one or other way too.
> In my win95/help directory (sorry, no Mac around :) I have:
> lmouse.hlp common.hlp calc.hlp network.hlp

Do you really think that win95 should be taken as a reference for
good user interface and well-organized file system ;-) ?

Yes, on a Mac all the file names are translated - at least, Apple does this,
some other software editors don't :-(.

Well, documentation is precisely the kind of part of the hard disk where the
user would like to look into, I think.

Eric
                                           \^o~_.
     /V\         Toys story         \__  \/  (  V
     Tux                    Konqui         \__=v