List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Updating Documentation with kdehelp && KDE-zwei and documentation
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-12 12:34:28

Eric Bischoff wrote:

> Stephan, please read the end of this message.
>
> David Rugge a écrit:
>
> > I just thought of an idea to make it easier for users to get updated copies of
> > the documentation.  I think that khelpcenter could have an "Update
> > Documentation" button that would download kde documentation that has been
> > updated in between kde releases.  That way the users would not have to rummage
> > through an ftp site to make sure that their documentation is up to date.
> >
> > I'm not sure how difficult this is to do. Does this sound like a reasonable
> > idea?
>
> It's an old idea that had been left over for 3 reasons :
>
> - It needs some reprogramming of KHelpCenter
>
> - Documentation will be shipping soon with KDE distributions on a
> regular basis
>   (see question / answer number 1 at KDE-zwei)
>
> - If people want some really "fresh meat", they would get it at least
> from the ftp snapshots, or maybe from a Web server too (see below).
>
> > People would like to get documentation.
> > I think this is important. We need HTML documentation somewhere. HTML
> > files are not *.o files. People cannot read *.o files, but that can read HTML.
> > HTML files are much smaller than Postscript, especially for languages
> > with non-latin alphabets.
> > EVERYONE who can access the Internet can read HTML files. I am
> > asking Erich and Stephan to consider publication of HTML versions of all
> > documentation somewhere on the web. People WANT documentation
> > (especially translations, because they will not have it until the
> > shipping of KDE2.0). And as I said about 3 months ago, this will increase
> > the speed of translation, because translators  will feel less "fed up"
> > with not seeing results of their hard work.
>
> Right. A thousand times right.
>
> We don't have enough resources for Postscript printed versions right
> now, but HTML would just be fine.
>
> We have been discussing this point in quite a hurry at KDE-zwei, and
> if I remember well, it was planned to do that somewhere on Mimas or on
> the ordinary Web server. Stephan, is this right ? I can't remember the
> exact decision, we skipped quickly to other topics.

There are two different things:
1. for translators we'll use mimas with HTML
2. for public usage (with all the nifty stuff like postscript) we'd need
  an extra host as mimas will then soon be on it's resource limits. The
  seeking for a new host is in progress

Greetings, Stephan

--
As long as Linux remains a religion of freeware fanatics,
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.