List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: GIF -> PNG
From:       Daniel Kalchev <daniel () digsys ! bg>
Date:       1999-07-07 6:21:42

>>>Matthias Elter said:
 > The Trolls had to remove GIF support from Qt to avoid being sued by the
 > patentowners.

This is still compile time option - in some places the Unisys pattent may not
be valid...

 > While there are plans to add basic  GIF loading support to kimgio
 > (mainly for konqueror...imagine a webbrowser without GIF support) we would
be
 > better of converting at least out documentation to PNG, to avoid beeing
sued,
 > too. DocBook may not come with PNG support but I think it shouldn't be too
 > hard to implement this for our upcoming KDE StyleSheet?!

What is the problem to use TIFF? At least, the 'fax' format should be free
from patents, as it is an international standart (as far as I know).

I guess a more common image format is preferable, unless used for (KDE)
internal purposes only.

Regards,
Daniel