List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    [Fwd: On re-publishing KDE documentation]
From:       Robert Williams <rwilliams () jrc-utah ! com>
Date:       1999-06-22 21:53:28

Intersting...

I hope this makes it to the doc team mailing list.

--
Robert Williams        rwilliams@jrc-utah.com
Jarob Consulting       rwilliams@kde.org

Date: 	Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:37:28 -0700
To: rwilliams@kde.org
From: Gordon McComb <gmccomb@gmccomb.com>
Subject: On re-publishing KDE documentation

Robert, I am writing you as you are the closest official KDE rep to my
location. Please pass this e-mail on to another at KDE.org if there is
someone else that handles this sort of request.

I am working with a company (toExcel.com) to develop reference books from
existing online documentation of open source software. We would like to
republish the online documentation to KDE and produce this material in
printed book form. No "exclusivity" is desired, and there is no cost to
KDE.org. Copyright remains with KDE.org, and/or the original authors.
Naturally, a royalty is paid to KDE.org, or the orginators of the
documentation (or it can be donated to charity, and if that's preferred).

Unlike most books, which are printed in quantities of 5,000 or more, the
toExcel publishing model prints ONE BOOK at a time; the books are
distributed online via Amazon.com, BN.com, and others, and through national
bookstore chains, such as Barnes and Noble. The quality of the books is
virtually identical to those you'd find on any bookstore shelf.

Our aim is to provide quality books on excellent software, and provide
these books at an affordable price. Many users prefer printed
documentation, and on average our books are less expensive (and certainly
more convenient) than if users print the documentation themselves.

We are currently reprinting several dozen online and HTML documentation of
popular open source software, industry specifications, and other documents
of importance to Internet users and developers.  Please see

http://www.toexcel.com/opensource/

for our initial line of books, launched just last week. A press release on
the launching of the books can be found at the following URL. It provides
additional information on our program that you may find useful.

http://www.toexcel.com/c/news/0699/061599_n.asp

I would very much like to speak with you about toExcel reprinting the
documentation to KDE.

Gordon McComb,
For toExcel.com