List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Useful stuff for documenters / translators
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-20 13:25:25

Le Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Thomas Diehl a écrit :
> Hi everybody,
>
> As a follow-up on the latest discussions of possible contents for
> translation and documentation web sites, I'd like to offer

We quite exactly the same thing for the French team.

> *   An overview of the translation process in our team: pre-requisites
>
> *   Detailed descriptions on
>     +  How to translate the GUI
>     +  How to translate documentation
>     +  How to work with CVS(UP), including first aid for compilation
>        problems
>
> *   Documentation statistics for every team reflecting the present
> state of doc translation (which documents are already translated? and
> if so: are these translations in synch with the English originals?).
>
> *   A Webforum for discussion of terminological problems and user
> feedback (apart from the usual team mailing list every team should set
> up first thing); for a German version see www.dtp-service.com/discus_d/
>
> On a similar note: We also have some brainstorming running on Dmitry's
> suggestion to adapt the KDE bug tracking system for errors in the
> documentation. But it's not yet clear what may come of this (or not).

(... According to me, a mail to the doc's author is enough.)

> *   The kdedict database for standard translations and consistency
> checks by Matthias Kiefer. Most of the terms in there are a direct

Since all teams have the same needs, maybe we should provide a framework for
all of that on KDE's Web server itself, in www/documentation directory.

But let's do that later, we still have more urgent needs than our
own organization :
- SGMLize everything
- Update a lot of doc translations
- Have more languages for documentation
- Have better english original docs
- Move to docbook
- etc :-(

 Eric
--
  Hiroshima 45,  Tchernobyl 86,  Windows 98
Eric Bischoff - mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr