List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: SGMLized docs
From:       Eric Bischoff <ebisch () cybercable ! tm ! fr>
Date:       1999-06-20 10:17:37

Le Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Thomas Diehl a écrit :
> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:05:13 -0400 (EDT), dim wrote:
>
> >Since the last move I haven't gotten anyone to volonteer to translate.
> >People don't see results of their work anymore and have lost interest.
> >[...]
> >What is wrong with making a mirror of the whole kde-i18n in
> >www/documentation module?
>
> *   keeping two instances of the same files will always produce
> confusion for a few people as to which version to update, no matter
> how often you tell them about it

You can't imagine how much this is true.

> *  either to show only a few docs of general interest on www.kde.org
> (ie the ones in Eric's suggestion) and link to the rest via something
> like Tobias Burnus' stats pages (BTW: did you take a look at
> http://uuhome.de/tobias.burnus/kde/doc-ru.html already?)

Yes, those docs are the ones that were in the former "general" section:
- quickstart
- faq
- userguide

> *  or to make everything viewable via WebCVS and just put links on the
> translators' sites  (if this is possible, if the WebCVS maintainer
> agrees and if we really want to constantly maintain SGML _and_ HTML
> versions of everything all the time).

Web CVS is made automatically out of the CVS server, so all the docs are
already viewable through web-CVS. So this works ALREADY.

> What
> is the point of making dokumentation available on the web if it now
> gets distributed like the PO files and any other piece of KDE?

This was the right question to ask.

Please remind that we are not working for translators, but for end-users ;-)

Eric
--
  Hiroshima 45,  Tchernobyl 86,  Windows 98
Eric Bischoff - mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr