List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    glibc2/libc6 version of KDE 1.1.1
From:       Mascha Gasseling <language () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       1999-06-02 11:23:08

Hello to all,

I am new to this list and I have a few questions regarding the installation
of KDE.
For a project I am working on a description of the installation of KDE.
I'm translating the current text which describes the installation of KDE
Beta4.
I have been asked to update the information to the newest version of KDE.
My source text points to the download path

ftp://ftp.kde.org/kde/stable/Beta4/distribution/rpm/binary/i386/libc6/

for users of RH 5.0 or higher, because these versions of RH use glibc2/libc6.

On the ftp-server though, this is no longer a current directory, because
the following path was all I could find:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/kde/stable/lastest/distribution/rpm/RedHat-5.2/i386

My questions are:

1) Does this mean that the latest KDE packages have also been compiled for
glibc2/libc6 and that I can just delete this paragraph that deals with this?

2) Are there any other library files that need to be installed first for RH
5.2 before installing KDE (This book took RH 5.2 as the latest official RH
Linux release) and which I need to point out to the users?

3)Are there any new things about the installation I should point out except
for the use of KDE-installer? Any tips on the use of KDE-installer?

4) And for version 6.0 of RH? Or do you recommend they use the KDE
distribution which was included in the latest RH release?

All of these questions apply to a fresh installation of KDE, no upgrade.
The chapter assumes the users have not installed KDE before.

Thanks in advance for your help. I would very much appreciate a speedy
reply as I'm pressed for time with regards to the deadline of the book.

Regards,

Mascha Gasseling

P.S. Keep up the good work with KDE. I use it myself (version 1.1 still)
but I really admire the excellent work of the KDE programmers :-))