List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: HTML Parts in translation
From:       Ingo =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-05-16 7:14:05

On Donnerstag, 16. Mai 2024 07:34:26 CEST Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
> Throughout the translation, there are several HTML-coded strings.
> These are pure HTML messages that appear inside the different apps.
> Usually relevant to display forms that are more complicated for Qt
> components.

Do you have a concrete example (ideally a link to the source code)?

> I'm having 2 different issues with those:
> 1. They are automatically LTR aligned, I need to add dir="rtl" manually for
> them to align correctly, I can do it but I think it would be better to set
> the default behavior to apply RTL if the locale is RTL.
> 2. Display area adjustment - Sometimes I'm breaking the lines prematurely
> and only when I'm using the app I can see that the lines break incorrectly,
> for example:
> This is some text that should
> appear
> in a label area.
> I added the <br/> or <nl/> in the wrong place so the UI wrapped the text to
> the next line and then there was an HTML line-break which left a single
> word and a lot of space after it.

Why do you think you need to add explicit line breaks to the translation? Does
the original text have explicit line breaks? Explicit line breaks in HTML are
almost always wrong. The Qt UI elements take care of wrapping text when
needed. Explicit line breaks are okay'ish if one wants to put for example a
filename occurring in a longer sentence on a line of its own.

My advice would be to not add explicit line breaks to the translation unless
they serve an obvious layout purpose. And if they do serve an obvious layout
purpose then don't worry that the translation may look suboptimal.

Regards,
Ingo