sorry i forgot to followup here. El dimarts, 9 de gener del 2024, a les 1:06:57 (CEST), Benjamin Bruce va escriure: > Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers to your questions: > > Is there an actual standard? Wikipedia tells me there's like several > > somewhat disagreeing variants. > > Yes, the original Shavian alphabet was the winner of a contest put on by the > estate of George Bernard Shaw to invent a new phonetic script for English. > Even though its inventor continued to tinker with it after the contest was > over, I think it's safe to say that the alphabet as published in Androcles > and the Lion in 1962 > (https://miro.medium.com/v2/1*ECKikjb6MOfoxV9B8nQHhA.png) is as close to an > official standard as one can get with such things. Ok, makes sense. > > Is the translation possible to be made automatic or needs a human > > translator? > Yes, thankfully automatic translation is possible, although it should always > be human-checked afterwards. There is a Python script I use to convert text > files to Shavian. This is a good thing, we would want this to be as automatic as possible. > > Someone would need to come up with an @script modifier and test if it > > works, for example for cyrillic we use @cyrillic, e.g. uz@cyrillic and > > things don't break, one would need to see if setting a glibc-locale like > > en@shavian would make everything explode or not. > > I don't know if this is useful or not, but Shavian does have a code in ISO > 15924 (en-Shaw). Doesn't immediately help, a locale format is language[_territory][.codeset][@modifier] so as far as i can see the thing we can use here is @modifier. Now, for this to be able to move forward I think you should try to bootstrap this with something like a 2 files translation and see if you can get things to show up translated. Do you have knowledge of how the gettext translation system to try to create a few files in you system to test this? Cheers, Albert