List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: English (Shavian) Translation Team
From:       "Benjamin Bruce" <benjamin () koine ! gr>
Date:       2024-01-09 0:06:57

Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers to your questions:

> Is there an actual standard? Wikipedia tells me there's like several somewhat
> disagreeing variants.

Yes, the original Shavian alphabet was the winner of a contest put on by the estate of George Bernard \
Shaw to invent a new phonetic script for English. Even though its inventor continued to tinker with it \
after the contest was over, I think it's safe to say that the alphabet as published in Androcles and the \
Lion in 1962 (https://miro.medium.com/v2/1*ECKikjb6MOfoxV9B8nQHhA.png) is as close to an official \
standard as one can get with such things.

> Is the translation possible to be made automatic or needs a human translator?

Yes, thankfully automatic translation is possible, although it should always be human-checked afterwards. \
There is a Python script I use to convert text files to Shavian.

> Someone would need to come up with an @script modifier and test if it works,
> for example for cyrillic we use @cyrillic, e.g. uz@cyrillic and things don't
> break, one would need to see if setting a glibc-locale like en@shavian would
> make everything explode or not.

I don't know if this is useful or not, but Shavian does have a code in ISO 15924 (en-Shaw).