List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translation of video subtitles of promo team
From:       Johnny Jazeix <jazeix () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-08-06 19:38:12

Le mer. 2 août 2023 à 19:44, Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl@huftis.org> a écrit :

> Johnny Jazeix skreiv 02.08.2023 17:38:
> > I've been discussing with promo on how to help them translate the
> > subtitles in their videos (for example
> > https://tube.kockatoo.org/w/symxHCzUj9TA7LZoZagD9c).
> > In order to not change the process of translators, I told them I can
> > create a script that will convert the srt files (subtitle file) to po
> > files. […]
>
> In case you're not aware, the Translate Toolkit has a tool for this:
> https://docs.translatehouse.org/projects/translate-toolkit/en/latest/commands/sub2po.html

I wasn't aware, thank you! After some tests, it allows to do what we
want except for changing the timestamps.
They are available in the po files created with sub2po, so it could
still be possible to create a script that will do the conversion from
po to srt only if we need to be able to change them.

> > I have a few questions regarding the translation process:
> > * should there be only one po file containing all the translations for
> > all subtitles files, or one po file per subtitle file?
>
> That depends. If different videos contain many of the same strings, I
> think it's better to lump all of the strings into one file (but sort the
> strings by video + timepoint). This will reduce the translators' work
> and ensure consistent translations across videos. But if the different
> videos contain mostly unique strings, I would prefer a separate file for
> each video. Then it's easier to choose which videos to translate.
> Translating one giant file easily feels like unsurmountable work …

I think it will be mostly different strings. Luigi also told me in the
matrix channel he would prefer one file per video so I'll go with it.
sub2po tool also do a 1 to 1 conversion, so it will avoid merging and splitting.

I think Paul answered all the other points.

Cheers,

Johnny