List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kcm_users.po some 16 translations
From:       Sveinn_í_Felli <sv1 () fellsnet ! is>
Date:       2020-06-30 9:22:52

Þann 29.6.2020 21:38, skrifaði Albert Astals Cid:
> El dilluns, 29 de juny de 2020, a les 22:46:47 CEST, Iñigo Salvador Azurmendi va escriure:
>> Hi,
>>

>> There are this 16 messages to translate in  kcm_users.po
>>

>> "Feisty Flamingo"
>>
>> "Dragon's Fruit"
>>
>> "Sweet Potato"
>>
>> "Ambient Amber"
>>
>> "Sparkle Sunbeam"
>>
>> "Lemon-Lime"
>>
>> "Verdant Charm"
>>
>> "Mellow Meadow"
>>
>> "Tepid Teal"
>>
>> "Plasma Blue"
>>
>> "Pon Purple"
>>
>> "Bajo Purple"
>>
>> "Burnt Charcoal"
>>
>> "Paper Perfection"
>>
>> "Cafétera Brown"
>>
>> "Rich Hardwood"
>>

>> I don't get what they are, perhaps names given to colors?
>
> Yes, they are invented color names.

Some of these are colors with a real definition (hex-number, RGB;
perhaps also a catalog-name; Pantone, NCS, etc.). Some do exist in the
KDE HIG under styles for the Breeze theme:
<https://hig.kde.org/style/color/default.html>.

Some of these color-names don't seem to exist in anything else than
fashion/decoration literature. You'd have to be very careful to use
these; plenty of colors have already well established and standardized
names and translations (Royal Blue, Burnt Sienna, etc. - names which
sometimes can be traced several 100s of years back) along with their
modern RGB/Hex definitions. Some color-names are even subject to patents
in some countries, so I would do a profound research before launching a
new name into the wild.

In HTML and CSS more than 500 color names are standardized [1], and in
the web-safe-palette there are the 17 basic monitor colors plus 123
others [2] - all of which must have been translated multiple times in
various software projects and standards.

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli

[1]: <https://web.njit.edu/~walsh/rgb.html>
[2]: <https://cloford.com/resources/colours/namedcol.htm>