List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Impact of the gitlab migration to the i18n translation layout
From:       Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano () tiscali ! it>
Date:       2020-05-02 14:38:48

Hi all,

as many of you are aware, the git hosting of the KDE project is fully moving
from a self-hosted gitolite deployment (what you now know as git.kde.org) with
phabricator on top for code review, to a gitlab installation, which is already
available as invent.kde.org.

The sysadmin plan a full migration of all git repositories to invent.kde.org
in the next few days.

You can see more details in the following discussion cross-posted on various
lists, including kde-community:
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2020q2/006194.html
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2020q2/006241.html

The change itself does *not* affect the current translation workflow and the
subversion server, but people using Phabricator for SVN reviews should notice
that Phabricator will go away at some point in the near future, after the
migration of tasks is taken care of (not now).

But some of the changes are going to affect us. If you see the proposed new
structure from the first thread above, there are not going to be modules
anymore as we know them. We will have bigger buckets (for example, "graphics")
containing everything which is under that category, regardless of its release
model - Release Service, independent release (former "extragear"), or
non-reviewed still-in-development software (former "playground").

A few categories/namespaces are going to match the product (frameworks/,
plasma/), but that's not the general case.

As namespaces are not going to provide relevant release details anymore, and
in order to simplify the handling of translations, I'd like to move forward
with the "flattening" plan that we discussed a few years back here:

https://marc.info/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=150006636717325&w=2

Please recheck the thread above, the tl;dr version is moving from:

<lang>
--> <messages/docmessages/docs/etc>
-----> <module>
--------> <po files of all repository in the module>

to:

<lang>
--> <messages/docmessages/docs/etc>
-----> <repository name>
--------> <po files of the repository>

Please note that, even though leaf repositories may not have unique names
anymore in this new structure, a specific metadata will allow us to preserve
the uniqueness of the repository name when cloning/checking it out.

I haven't checked summit, but given that it works on the relies only of the
catalog names, I believe that adapting it to the new structure shouldn't be
complicated.

Any thoughts/possible issues/comments?

Ciao
--