List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    KAcceleratorManager, Kirigami and accelerator key translations
From:       Shinjo Park <kde () peremen ! name>
Date:       2020-04-25 11:28:51

Hello,

I have reported Bug #420488 and got to know that similar bugs have been
reported such as #407386, #417467. This was supposed to be fixed by #406035 \
but  the fix was not effective at all.

Inspired by this, I have checked how other languages are translating the
accelerator keys and found this pattern:
- Languages using Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic (except Uyghur), Hebrew, Greek \
and  some Indic scripts are placing accelerator keys within the translated \
                message
- Languages using another Indic scripts, C/J/K are placing accelerator keys \
 separate from the message (example: "New &Window" is translated into \
"નવી વિન્ડો  (&W)", "ಹೊಸ ಕಿಟಕಿ(&W)", \
"新建窗口(&W)", "නව කවුළුව (&W)", "새 창(&W)" in \
Gujarati,  Kannada, Chinese Simplified, Sinhala, and Korean respectively)
- Source: https://l10n.kde.org/dictionary/compare-translations.php?
package=applications&filename=dolphin.po&compare=New+%26Window

To kde-i18n-doc: if I made some wrong assumptions, please correct them.

For the languages in the first list, I think KAcceleratorManager and \
Kirigami  should work fine. For the languages in the second list, there are \
two problems:  no accelerator keys are allocated in QWidget based \
applications when the  translated string does not contain Latin alphabet \
within the string or  followed by an ampersand. Also non typeable \
characters are misallocated  accelerator keys in Kirigami based \
applications.

As a workaround for Kirigami displaying weird accelerator keys, I think
extending the range of non-typeable characters to include abovementioned
scripts can at least non-typeable accelerator keys from appearing:
https://cgit.kde.org/kirigami.git/tree/src/mnemonicattached.cpp#n92 \
However,  this won't solve the problem that these strings won't have an \
accelerator key.

For the another problem of having no accelerator keys, I can think of two
workarounds:
- Manually specify accelerator keys within the translated string. However,
just by looking PO files I don't know which strings form a group, and some \
UI  string which is supposed to have an accelerator key lacks of an \
accelerator  key followed by an ampersand, so the suitable accelerator key \
has to be  manually examined by translators.
- Allocate accelerator keys based on the original English string: That's \
what  used by the current translations. I am not sure whether this \
workaround is  possible in KDE Frameworks implementation (both \
KWidgetsAddons and Kirigami)  wise or should be addressed in Qt.

I am looking for further opinions and inputs.

Best,
Shinjo