List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Polish translation of "Cancel"
From:       Sveinn_í_Felli <sv1 () fellsnet ! is>
Date:       2020-04-16 21:50:57

Þann 16.4.2020 16:21, skrifaði Nate Graham:
> On 4/16/20 1:13 AM, Łukasz Wojniłowicz wrote:
>> I would like to solve the tension, that rose around the translation of
>> "cancel".
>> Is there really no one, who thinks, that translated "zaniechaj" is worth
>> keeping?
>
> I don't know Polish so I can't comment on the technical correctness of
> the word in question, but in disputes like this I find that it's
> generally important to pay attention to the group consensus. IMO it's
> usually better to compromise and accommodate the group rather than
> ignore it and cause friction.
>
> Nate

I don't know Polish so I sent this morning an e-mail to the list of
registered Polish speaking individuals in my locality (registered as
being able to help out if any linguistic problems arise in schools,
elections, etc.), asking for their opinion.
I have yet only a handful of replies, all unanimously for „Anuluj". Some
comments are like „Anuluj - 'Zaniechaj' is usually not used in the
context of computers".

So, as to quote Oswald Buddenhagen in a response to  Łukasz Wojniłowicz
<https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qttranslations/+/284474/2/translations/qtquickcontrols_pl.ts#24>:

"i see your point, but i think you're standing on lost ground with that
one."

Best regards;
Sveinn í Felli