List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Write-up of Qt i18n vs. KI18n/gettext, potential issues with Qt translations
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-12-16 0:23:11

Hi,

for those interested in magic and/or issues of the translation system in
software from KDE, I just flushed some old note of mine about things I
researched at the KDE meeting Randa 2016 which I never managed to turn into
proper bug reports, code fixes etc.

Also comes with some overview how Qt & KI18n/gettext translations work (modulo
things I got wrong of course), in case you want to get more insight,

Find it at:
https://frinring.wordpress.com/2019/12/15/randa-meetings-2016-part-iii-translation-system-troubles/

One thing which might need your attention is that with Qt5 there are separate
catalogs with translations for the separate modules, which all need to be
loaded explicitly with a catalog handler. While there is a backward-compat
meta catalog (which is loaded by magic code in KI18n if your app links that
lib in some way), this meta catalog only covers the qtbase libs from what I
understood.
So if you use special Qt libs you might want to look into that perhaps. This
includes possibly things like QtQuick Controls.

Comments/corrections by people who know better welcome/requested of course :)

Cheers
Friedrich