List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Sysadmin Load Reduction: Subversion Infrastructure
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-11-12 17:26:34

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 12:12 AM Luigi Toscano <luigi.toscano@tiscali.it> w=
rote:

> Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
> > On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM Alexander Potashev
> > <aspotashev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> =D0=BF=D0=BD, 11 =D0=BD=D0=BE=D1=8F=D0=B1. 2019 =D0=B3. =D0=B2 17:02, =

> >> I don't get it.
> >>
> >> If you have conflicting changes, either with SVN or Git, you have to
> >> resolve the conflict manually. Of course it's easy to break the syntax
> >> while doing so, however SVN does not make it any easier than Git.

> >> OK, I now tried this approach with Git 2.23 (see attached log) and
> >> found horrible problems that make it basically unusable:
> >>
> >>  1. git-checkout downloads each file in a new SSH connection. It make
> >> the download really slow: less than 1 file per second in my setup.
> >> That means downloading of translations into one language would take
> >> more than an hour.
> >>
> >>  2. git-status silently tries to download to whole Git repository.
> >>
> >>  3. git-commit tries to download some files one by one again.

> >> The tag [WIP] would hint that we are not sure if it can be
> >> implemented. We can even name it "Reasons why translations cannot
> >> migrate to Git", if necessary.
> >
> > Sorry, but if you proceed with using a title such as that one, then
> > you are not being constructive or helpful towards this conversation.
> >
> > That title would indicate to me that the translation community is
> > completely unwilling to consider change of any form.
>
> That's why it shouldn't be a task at this point, but a document showing w=
hy we
> can't migrate.
> It's not a matter that we are unwilling to consider. The problem is that =
the
> current state makes it almost impossible to migrate. The document would
> explain why.

Spin that around please. It should instead be 'Challenges to migrate to Git=
'.

This is an exercise Sysadmin is reasonably familiar with when it comes
to any system transition - there are always workflows and processes
that need to be adjusted, tooling that needs to be tweaked or
rewritten, data that needs to be migrated, etc.

> --
> Luigi

Cheers,
Ben